ABOUT US – Arts
REC ROOM is a space to create in downtown Houston where live performance and arts events of every sort are frequent, diverse, and accessible to all. We produce unconventional, out there, edgy, entertaining, laugh-outloud-til-you-cry, original work including but not limited to concerts, theatre, dance, comedy, podcasts, variety shows, and film screenings. We want our patrons to experience an enriching world beyond their couches. Our mission is to give Houston a place to play in the actual company of others.
By providing established artists, as well as young artists, a place to create, we are enabling the development of radical new work that will continue to put Houston on the map.
Rec Room is also available for rentals and private events.
Our BAR will open Fall 2016 for patrons to enjoy whether or not they are attending a performance. Get ready for happy hours and Sunday Fundays. We are currently a BYOB establishment so take advantage!
Performances and events are curated by founders Stephanie Wittels Wachs and Matt Hune.
AT REC ROOM, WE BELIEVE LIVE PERFORMANCE SHOULD BE:
- FUN. [Of course it should also be enlightening, interesting, artistically fulfilling, inspiring. It should make you want to leave and change the world, sure. BUT, it should always be fun.]
- HEART. LOTS OF HEART.
- BAD ASS.
All performance events at Rec Room will strive toward these principles. Our programming will be frequent and diverse.
We know our community is full of artists, thinkers, comedians, renegades, storytellers, innovators, creators, and bad asses.
Rec Room provides a space for these people to do what they do. If you have a performance idea that’s begging to come out, that keeps you up at night, that takes up space on your hard drive, let us know.
WE ADVOCATE FOR A CREATIVE SPACE THAT’S RESTRICTION-FREE, WHERE THE AUDIENCE CAN:
- Come as they are. (Anything goes: shorts, pajamas, a tuxedo, a furry costume.)
- Unwrap candies mid-performance. (Fresh breath is important.)
- Come late if life gets in the way. If your car runs out of gas or your toddler has an unexpected meltdown when the sitter arrives, it’s cool. (Tickets will still be the same price, but you do what you need to do.)
- Take photos freely. Video, too. And put them all over the Internet. (We prefer it, in fact.)
- Drink and eat. (We’ll help with this.)
- You can even text if you want. Just turn off the sound and dim the screen. (Don’t be a dick.)